CCS64 Forum

A forum to discuss issues about CCS64!
It is currently Sat Dec 16, 2017 1:01 pm

All times are UTC + 2 hours

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2004 6:22 am 

I have been reading the C64 user manuals, but none of them have said anything about what I'm actually supposed to do to get a program to run. I downloaded CCS64 just so I could play a game in order to review it and capture screenshots, and I have no familiarity with using a C64 at all! Can anyone give me a clear straight answer about what I'm supposed to do to get a ROM to run?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2004 8:28 am 

On a real C64... you would insert the disk into the drive, type in a command to load the program, then type a command to run it.

First, the primary drive on a C64 has an ID of 8. That is appended to the end of the load command, otherwise it defaults to a tape drive which probably isn't what you want.

Now, if you know the filename, the command to load a program is usually this:
LOAD"filename",8,1

In most cases, though, it is safe to do this:
LOAD"*",8,1

That loads the first file on the disk.

With the extra ",1" at the end, programs load into the location specified in the file. Without it, that location is ignored and programs always load into the BASIC workspace. Sometimes that is correct, sometimes not. Unless you're working with BASIC programs, there are hardly any cases in which you'd want to omit the ",1".

Depending on the program, if it's in Machine Language, there may be a SYS command that you'll have to enter in order to run it. Most ML programs, however, have a small BASIC component that allows you to run the program simply by typing "RUN". (Some ML programs load into a special location that makes it run immediately after it's loaded.)

Now, the nice thing about CCS64... is that it can do most of that work for you. First, press F9 to go into the menu. Choose the Drive 8 options, then select the "ROM" (not always an accurate term for an image in this case), and then select the program to run. CCS64 will automatically provide and execute the LOAD"filename",8,1 and RUN commands, and, in almost all cases, that will start up the game.

To actually play the game, however, you may need to check your input settings in the F9 menu, to configure your emulated joystick ports to use "Key-set 1" and "Key-set 2"... Unless you have a real joystick, which CCS64 also supports, once you use CCS64's calibrate option.

Hope this helps.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2004 9:43 pm 

Thank you. This helps a lot.

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2004 12:36 am 

I have the emulator working fine, downloaded full version of directX, My OS is windows XP, BUT when I download a game from ANY website, my windows OS says windows cannot open because it does not no where the file came from, then the fileext. website pops-up giving me no clue as to why. Any assistance is appreiciated beyond measure.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2004 11:01 am 

"Windows cannot open this file" window?

Select the option: Select the program from a list. Press the OK button. Select the program you want to associate with the file (extension). If the program is not listed then select browse, locate and select it (for CCS64 this could be C:/Program Files/CCS64/ccs.exe). If you wish the .[extension] file should always open with that program make sure that "Always use the selected program to open this kind of file" is checked. Press Ok.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2004 6:54 pm 
Site Co-Admin

Perhaps you also need to have WinZIP installed, to deal with ZIP files. Files with D64/G64/T64/TAP/PRG/P00 are emulator formats, that are run within the emulator environment itself.

Stuart Toomer.

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2004 9:29 pm 

That solves the problem perfectly. Im sure you probably hear this a lot, but I would like to blow it up a little. On behalf of everyone who has ever encounted a problem and looked to the forum for the solution, I would like to say to you "BIG THANKS", its people like you who make it possible for the not so emulator savy to enjoy the really good things in life. :wink:
Keep up the great work.

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2004 9:18 pm 

have managed to download the emulator and wizball, along with international karate. and can load both games. prob is i cant find any definitive answer as to how to set up keyboard controls?? or can i even use my keyboard with this emulator - any help or instructions would be greatly appreciated

cheers

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2004 11:37 pm 
Site Co-Admin

kib2004 wrote:
have managed to download the emulator and wizball, along with international karate. and can load both games. prob is i cant find any definitive answer as to how to set up keyboard controls?? or can i even use my keyboard with this emulator - any help or instructions would be greatly appreciated

cheers

Please refer to my web-site:
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/stuart.too ... b_help.htm

Stuart Toomer.