CCS64 Forum

A forum to discuss issues about CCS64!
It is currently Sat Nov 18, 2017 11:15 pm

All times are UTC + 2 hours

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 8:59 pm 

I just watched the great demo "edge of disgrace". It can easily be found on the web. I found it here: http://csdb.dk/release/?id=72550
Unfortunately there are some graphical glitches in it and I think it's caused by some CCS64 bugs I'm afraid. I am using CCS64 3.9
This is how to reproduce it:
Start the demo using disk 0.
After a while it asks for disk 1. Insert the disk.
Now some jumping stars appear on the screen. When the stars enter the top border, a horizontal line appears in the stars.
This does not happen on a real C64 and also Hox64 and Vice do not show this glitch.
I tried several graphic settings (sync, not sync etc) and several rom revisions but the glitch is there Always.
The easiest way to see the glitch is in windows 2x mode.

There's also another glitch, but I'm not sure this is an emulation bug, because I also see it in Vice when I use full border mode. I don't see the glitch on a real C64 but I also see a lot less of the sideborder on my TV screen, so it might simply be out of the viewing area on a TV sceen.
You can get to this part a little faster by the way, by booting from disk 1 instead of disk 0.
In the beginning of the demo, after the bouncing star mentioned above, two horizontal black lines appear.
Those black lines show a small glitch on the left side on both lines. I made a screenshot.

Now a third glitch appears and this is a bug in the emulation I think.
Between those lines a "chessboard pattern" appears zooming in and out. Very cool!
After a few zooms, the two horizontal black lines form a square, so two vertical black lines appear. It goes to fast to make a screenshot of it, but I try to describe.
On a real C64, Vice and Hox64 there is a transition effect where the black lines bounce a little. On CCS64 however it shows some glitches and then the black square appears. After that all continues the way it should. So it's just some minor glitches. I think this demo uses almost all tricks that can be done on a C64 and it's a great demo to test emulation.

Also on disk 1B several glitches are visible. Just watch the demo closely and you'll see them.

During writing this bug report I also tried recording a video of the third glitch. Unfortunately CCS64 hangs when I try to stop my recording.
Maybe another bug, or just my system?

CCS64 is still my favorite emulator and I prefer it above Vice (I don't like the Vice interface) and Hox64 (to limited in options, but extremely good emulation).

Can someone confirm these bug and pass this to Hakan to fix it?
I've attached screenshots.

Also a few questions/feature request: Is this emulator still under development (although it's near perfect in my opinion) and are there any plans to port it to android?
Also it would be great if CCS64 would not claim exclusive right to the audio interface. When I use CCS64 all other audio stops. Hox64 and Vice don't behave like this and mix with the rest of the audio of other programs. Also my Volume keys on my keyboard won't respond when CCS64 is running.
In the CCS64 menu (when in windowed mode) not all choices you make are marked with a checkmark (for instance the maximum speed option). It would be nice if this can be fixed.
A last request: At the moment you can choose several graphic options, including windowed modes. However it's not possible to switch between fullscreen and windowed mode in one press (like ALT-ENTER). I Always need to use F9, Video, browse through several screen options and then choose windowed etc.

Anyway, thanks Hakan for this wonderfull emulator. I hope you can fix those small (but probably not very easy to fix) bugs and make this emulator even better.

Kind regards,

Rene

Attachments:
File comment: Glitch number two: Small glitch on the left side of the black horizontal lines
ccs13.jpg
ccs13.jpg [ 21.64 KiB | Viewed 11304 times ]
File comment: Glitch number one: A horizontal line appears in the bouncing star.
ccs2.jpg
ccs2.jpg [ 2.71 KiB | Viewed 11310 times ]

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 10:56 pm 

Is there anyone to confirm these bugs?

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 10:10 am 
Site Co-Admin

Bugs confirmed. Passed on to Hakan for investigation/fixing...

Thanks for your continued patience...

Stuart Toomer.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 3:35 pm 

Thanks for testing Stuart.
I hope Hakan can find some time to fix the bugs.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 11:43 am 
Site Co-Admin

Just to let you know that he is aware of these bugs and is looking into them, along with other things.

Stuart Toomer.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 3:51 pm 

Good to hear that Stuart. Thanks for letting us know.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 8:42 pm 
Site Co-Admin

Just to let you know that I've just received a second beta-version of CCS64 v3.9.2 and the glitches with Edge Of Disgrace have all been fixed. The second reported glitch isn't actually a bug, because it behaves that way on a real C64 as well; this part of the demo requires the visible display area to be modified, so you wouldn't see that 'glitch' on a real TV screen (i.e. this 'glitch' should behave this way).

I know this has taken quite some time to fix, but Hakan has very little time for hobbies nowadays...

Stuart Toomer.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 10:47 pm 

Great news Stuart.
I understand Hakan has very little time. No rush intended at all.
I'm happy he's fixing the very few remaining bugs.
To be honest I can only think of two things to fix.
First the sound bug in comaland I mentioned in another thread.
Second a little better default setting for the filter would be nice. Not really a bug, just a little to agressive default filter setting to my liking.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 11:30 pm 
Site Co-Admin

As I said in the other post, I've passed-on the ComaLand 2014 demo / SID 8580 Filter issue to Hakan as well. I'm just aware that it's been over a year-and-a-half since the last release, so I don't know whether Hakan wants to officially release what he's done so far (as CCS64 v3.6.2) or to do a bit more before releasing. Time is the issue and I don't want things to get stale, as I would like CCS64 to be as perfect as it could be, for everybody...

I'll keep the CCS64 WWWBoard updated with any further developments...

Stuart Toomer.