CCS64 Forum

A forum to discuss issues about CCS64!
It is currently Mon Dec 11, 2017 3:06 pm

All times are UTC + 2 hours

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 8:39 pm 

Hi there,

Thanks for the great emulator. It is working brilliantly for me using .tap or .t64 files. However I can't figure out how to save files from within games.

For example kikstart2 a bike game (i'm guessing you may have heard of it :D ) lets you create tracks, which can then be saved to tape. Simply saving a freeze state (what I normally do for savegames) isn't suitable in this situation, and unfortunately I can't figure out how to fool the game I am pressing record on the tape player.

I'm sure this is simple, but would appreciate the help.

Thanks!
Jon

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 10:14 am 
Site Co-Admin

Try to get a D64/G64 version of the game, then use the Create New D64/G64 option within CCS64 to create a new disk, then ensure that 1541 Saving is set to Continuously. I'm sure you'll figure it out, if you play with CCS64 enough...

Stuart Toomer.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2011 12:05 pm 

Unfortunately saving does NOT work if the file is not on a disk image. I have several games in regular directories and as soon as one of them would like to save something (into this regular directory) it hangs exactely at saving...

So I think this is a massive bug that CCS64 can only save to disk images and does not show any message that it is not possible to save to regular PC directories...

I'm using Power64, a C64 emulator for MacOS X, for a very long time - but I never experienced such problem. Power64 can save to regular directories without any problems.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 2:58 pm 
Site Co-Admin

ClarkKent wrote:
Unfortunately saving does NOT work if the file is not on a disk image. I have several games in regular directories and as soon as one of them would like to save something (into this regular directory) it hangs exactely at saving...

So I think this is a massive bug that CCS64 can only save to disk images and does not show any message that it is not possible to save to regular PC directories...

I'm using Power64, a C64 emulator for MacOS X, for a very long time - but I never experienced such problem. Power64 can save to regular directories without any problems.

CCS64 is working in the correct way. This is the way that all C64 emulators work, because you have to save data within files that are 'formatted' to a recognisable C64 file system - you cannot save game data to 'virgin' MS-DOS/Windows files, since the C64 operating system (within the emulator) won't natively understand the format you're saving to; hence the information has to be loaded/saved to/from C64 disk/tape image files. This is not a bug with CCS64 at all. VICE works in exactly the same way. That is the very nature of C64 emulation. It's like asking Windows to save data to a file on a VAX VMS computer - it makes no computing sense, because the operating systems and file systems are different. There is a lot of information on the Internet about the C64 disk/tape file systems, which you can research in to, to understand this.

Stuart Toomer.