CCS64 Forum

A forum to discuss issues about CCS64!
It is currently Fri Nov 17, 2017 11:15 pm

All times are UTC + 2 hours

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 7:13 pm 

First I'd like to thank to Hakan for this great emulator and Stuart for his testing.
I like the CCS64 interface. It's so much easier to use than Vice.
I use CCS64 together with a tool called powerstrip. Powerstrip can force your videcard to 50 HZ.
This is nice on an lcd screen. It doesn't flicker. Now use screen sync in CCS64 and scrolling is perfectly smooth and at the right speed.

Unfortunately there's two small bugs I'd like to report.

1) The filter emulation is way to strong. To notice this, play a game like International Karate+ (IK+). Play it for a while with SID filters on. During gameplay you will notice one of the voices almost disappears and sounds weird. The filter emulation is causing this. It sounds good with filter emulation turned off. This isn't a CPU issue. My Intel I7 processor is fast enough.

2) Not sure this is a bug. When I start the 2nd reality demo (it's ported to the C64 and great) using F9, and choose the disk, it starts. But after a while the sounds goes out of sync. This can be heard extremely well in the part with the falling chessboard pattern.
The strange thing is, when I load the same demo using the "load" command (so the old fashioned way) it runs okay. Must be some fastloader isue I guess. It won't boot on Vice at all. Only using the normal load command it works on both emulators.

One more feature request. Is it possible to add checkmarks to the selected settings in the menu when running in Windowed mode? For instance the Maximum speed setting and the 5 x speed setting in the menu don't have checkmarks. So you can't see if they are selected or not. Offcourse you can tell by the behaviour of your emulated C64, but still it would be nice to see checkmarks in the menu when you select that option. I think it's very easy to implement it.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 8:13 pm 
Site Co-Admin

My responses:

1. The SID Filter parameters can be adjusted, using the various SID Chip settings in the Options... Sound sub-menu.

2. Some demos/games don't like the default CCS64 fast-loader. For such 'sensitive' demos/games, you can load/run them in the manual manner (as you mention) from BASIC, or you can use the Load (Normal) option from the menu system instead. CCS64 allows this variety of loading methods. (Conversely, some demos/games actually rely upon the default CCS64 fast-loader behaviour, in order to work the way they intended.)

So, I can't see any actual bugs here. Thanks for the enhancement requests about the menu options be ticked/un-ticked when enabled/disabled - Hakan is busy with major domestic stuff at the moment, so won't be able to look at any further CCS64 changes for the next few months.

Stuart Toomer.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 11:09 am 

Off course there's no rush with the bug fixes and I know Hakan is a busy guy, but I was wondering if there's any development on CCS64.
I beleive I read somewhere that Hakan stopped developping CCS64 and some Italian guy would continue development.
Is this true, or is Hakan still the developer of the great emulator?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 8:17 pm 
Site Co-Admin

Hakan hasn't stopped developing CCS64 altogether - he just does it when he has time. I have made Hakan aware of all of the reported issues, but I have to wait for him to respond to me. Although the source code was given to another developer, he shouldn't release anything without Hakan's permission first. I will keep people updated when I hear from Hakan.

Stuart Toomer.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 7:52 pm 

Any news from Hakan yet? I appreciate what he has achieved in the past and in no way I want to push things. I was simply wondering if there's any development. The last update was a long time ago. CCS64 is my favorite C64 emulator and I just love to see the emulation perfected.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 9:00 pm 
Site Co-Admin

I'm still waiting for Hakan to reply to me, although I've already chased him up three times. He has some family matters on at the moment, which naturally take priority. As soon as I know anything, I'll let people know; but I am also aware that it's been over a year since the last release. He is keeping an eye on my the e-mail messages. All I can ask is for people to continue to be patient... Thank you for your understanding.

Stuart Toomer.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 11:37 am 
Site Co-Admin

Just to let people know that I have had contact from Hakan and that he has been keeping an eye on my e-mail reports of bugs/enhancements to him. He is busy with making various enhancements to the PAL TV Emulation, implementing various other peculiarities, and is also investigating the bugs that I have reported to him (the problems with Moon Shuttle and Edge Of Disgrace, being the most important).

Stuart Toomer.