CCS64 Forum

A forum to discuss issues about CCS64!
It is currently Thu Nov 23, 2017 9:37 am

All times are UTC + 2 hours

Post subject: Assembly Language
PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2003 5:55 pm 

Does anybody have any links to good 6502 assembly language resources / tutorials?

Thanks,
rcmiv

- Jim Butterfield
Compute! Sept 1982

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2003 2:24 am 

My favorite reference is the Commodore 64 Programmer's Reference Guide. It contains almost everything you'd need to know about programming for the C64 in BASIC and ML. (Unfortunately, the cheap plastic binding tends to break after a few years of use. I'm on my second copy and it's almost gone.)

Try a Google search for "Commodore 64 Programmer's Reference Guide". I just did and I found a lot of links, including online versions of the book (I'll probably download one of those), and copies of the book for sale on Amazon. (Hopefully with a longer-lasting binding.)

Post subject: Thanks
PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2003 4:52 pm 

"My favorite reference is the Commodore 64 Programmer's Reference Guide."

The bible. I dug my copy out of the basement last night. It's about 19 years old, and thoroughly dog eared and full of my old notes. The cover is off, but otherwise it's intact. Ah, the memories.

I was hoping to find some more detailed examples of annotated assembly code like this (which tends to be too advanced for me):

http://www.ffd2.com/fridge/chacking/

or this (which is incomplete, but what is there is good basic stuff):

http://user.tninet.se/~uxm165t/demo_pro ... _prog.html

If you see anything interesting, let me know!

Thanks
rcmiv

- Jim Butterfield
Compute! Sept 1982

Post subject: Re: Assembly Language
PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 6:17 am 

An assembly language is a low-level way to instruct a computer to carry out a task. Computers do not inherently understand instructions from people.Programmers still use assembly language when speed is essential or when they need to perform an operation that isn't possible in a high-level language. Many sophisticated assemblers offer additional mechanisms to facilitate program development, control the assembly process, and aid debugging. In particular, most modern assemblers include a macro facility (described below), and are called macro assemblers.