CCS64 Forum

A forum to discuss issues about CCS64!
It is currently Thu Oct 19, 2017 5:29 am

All times are UTC + 2 hours

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2007 9:40 pm 

Hello,

I bought the Competition Pro USB-Version, which is of course very well-suited for C64-emulation ;)

But one problem is that the LEFT big red button is considered to be Button 1, which means that CCS64 will only respond to the left button, ignoring the other three.

For my personal "playing style", it would be much better to have the RIGHT button as the Button number 1. So, it would be very great if CCS64 would allow me to swap those buttons, or perhaps even better, interpret EVERY button as the fire-button, since the C64 only has got one button anyway (okay there might be some people who disagree on this, but then it would be good to offer swapping OR mapping all the buttons to the one and only fire-button).

Would that be possible? It would be very great, since CCS64 is my favourite emulator and I don't want to replace it :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2007 3:44 am 
Site Co-Admin

You can always use the Swap Joysticks option, in order to swap the two joysticks over - some games require this.

Stuart Toomer.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 7:38 pm 

Well I know that feature - and use it quite often ;)

But that's not the thing I meant... my problem is that I've got a Competition Pro USB with 4 buttons, but only one of those buttons is considered as the "C64 fire button" in CCS64. And for me, it's the wrong one ;) so there should be either the possibility to a) choose which button should be the fire button, or b) recognize all the buttons on a joystick / gamepad as the fire button ;) because it's rather unhandy having to use the left button (in my case) when I'm used to using the right one ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 7:38 am 
Site Co-Admin

It wouldn't be very useful to implement something like that as a generic feature. However, why not look at the tools mentioned in my CCS64 KB article about joystick calibration?:
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/stuart.too ... _H_006.htm

Stuart Toomer.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 9:53 pm 

Well, there's no problem with calibration - my joystick works just fine. But my proposed feature would perfectly fit into the calibration process. Let's say the user starts the joystick calibration, moves his stick into all the directions etc, and then he could be asked "press the joystick button that you want to use as the fire button". Then I could press my favourite button and everything would be perfect :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 5:55 pm 

I have exactly the same problem as ZeHa. I have the very same Competition Pro USB joystick and I am used to use the right firebutton (with my right thumb using the left hand for the directions) which is "Button 2" in the Windows Driver.

The additional menu resp. the additional dialog in the calibration menu is not required, however. The required menu already exists under Options/Input/Define Joystick Special if I understood it correctly.

The only problem is, that you can't select "Bit 4" for Fire button 2 (or 3) but only several Keys and Paddles. If this restriction would be removed, everything was fine.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2007 9:34 am 
Site Co-Admin

I have added all of these joystick-related requests on the CCS64 Bug/Enhancement List for Hakan. He is in the middle of moving house at the moment!

Stuart Toomer.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 11:56 pm 

ZeHa wrote:
my problem is that I've got a Competition Pro USB with 4 buttons, but only one of those buttons is considered as the "C64 fire button" in CCS64. And for me, it's the wrong one ;) so there should be either the possibility to a) choose which button should be the fire button, or b) recognize all the buttons on a joystick / gamepad as the fire button ;) because it's rather unhandy having to use the left button (in my case) when I'm used to using the right one ;)

Programs like MAME and like Stella allow you to redefine or map everything on your controller, so I was surprised that CCS64 doesn't let you do the same thing. I like to use the lowest button, but CCS64 forces me to use the button at the top. Seems like it would have been a simple thing to let us assign 'bit 4' to the other buttons. 'Bit 4' is in the list for button 1, so why not leave it in the list for the other buttons?

By the way, my controller has 4 buttons on the front and 4 on the back, so it would be nice to have more than 3 buttons listed.