CCS64 Forum

A forum to discuss issues about CCS64!
It is currently Sun Oct 22, 2017 5:34 pm

All times are UTC + 2 hours

Post subject: Input menu suggestion.
PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2004 4:21 pm 

I really loved playing Jump'n'Runs on my C64 (until my brother sold it for €1 :evil: :evil: :evil: )

I'm glad that there is a program that can emulate it almost perfectly.

There is however something that annoyed me in those "old" times as well as today: You can only play those games with a Joystick. If you try to use a Genesis Gamepad (which was compatible to the C64), these games will become almost unplayable, because jumping by pressing "Up" on the D-Pad while trying to move left or right is almost impossible.

OK, the breadbox didn't offer anything to improve this, but an emulator should.

So why don't you change the input menu a little?

Here's my suggestion:

CCS64 shouldn't make a difference between Keyboard and DirectInput device: When assigning a Joystick Axis/Button, the user should be able to press Joystick Buttons/Axes as well as Keyboard keys.

This would also solve the problems with some devices that have more than two axes (A Gravis XTerminator for example has a D-Pad, an analog stick, a coolie hat, a throttle control and two analog padles - Some emulators including CCS64 only use the analog stick, although the D-Pad would have suited them much better).

The calibration option might be unnecessary, because DirectInput already does that.

This can be considered as a first step.

However, it doesn't solve this Jump'n'Run problem completely. OK, you can now assign a Gamepad button as "Up" Axis, but what about games like Turrican which contain both a Jump'n'Run part and a sidescrolling shooter part? You would have to reassign the "Up" axis thrice in Turrican 2 (Jump'n'Run -> Scroller -> Jump'n'Run -> Last Battle flying with a Jetpack).

This problem would be solved by an alternate button selection (as used in Half-Life or MAME). You could assign the "Up" axis to both an axis and a button at the same time.

I hope that you might consider my suggestion. Just imagine Giana Sisters with the playability of Super Mario Brothers. Or Turrican being played like its console ports. Cool, eh?