CCS64 Forum

A forum to discuss issues about CCS64!
It is currently Wed Nov 26, 2014 3:10 am

All times are UTC + 2 hours

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 12:46 am 

hi there!

this is my 1st posting here, i'm using ccs64 since version 1 and for me it's still the best c64-emulator by far.

now the problem: i'm running an old k6-3 400 winxp-pc with ccs64 3 (tried all versions including betas) with a matrox g400 dual head card which is connected to a european standard pal-tv (50hz). the tv-output is really great and the scrolling is smooth as butter when i'm using the video options "update mode=frame" and "sync rate=screen".

now the problem: i tried to upgrade the cpu with a k6-2+ 550, but using this processor makes it impossible to get a smooth scrolling with above options! i did not change any configurations, neither in windows or in ccs64. replacing the k6-3 400, the scrolling is perfect again. it's really frustating... :cry:
the k6-2+ is compatible with my board (latest bios) and any other emulation programs (e.g. zsnes) just run fine with it, including perfect scrolling. and it should so, because technically, the k6-2+ is a k6-3 with smaller cache.

interesting: ccs64 2 runs with smooth scrolling even on the k6-2+.
but i can't use this version with the tv-out, because the video-modes i need for the tv-output (800x600) are only displayed with scanlines... :x

so, i know it's a very special problem and really old hardware, but i would be really glad about some suggestions.

thanx, wonderboy86.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 4:43 pm 
Site Co-Admin

In order to reduce the graphics processing requirements, set a lower resolution and/or a lower bits-per-pixel quality level, within the Full-Screen Mode in CCS64. Also, do not use any fancy graphical filter/effects within CCS64, if this is not enough. There's only so much that can be reduced, if you have less powerful hardware for number-crunching.

Stuart Toomer.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 10:15 pm 

many thanks for you reply, stuart.

but you can believe me: this phenomenon has nothing to do with the hardware-performance. i get superb scrolling even with a k6-2 300 running on this machine, only the k6-2+ 550 makes trouble. every other k6-processor i tried (k6-2 300, k6-2 450, k6-500 and k6-3 400) does the job fine. and i tried it more than once...

i found out that the early betas of v3.0 do not have this issue with the k6-2+.
i estimate they run with the old graphic engine of v2.
but unfortunately i can't use this versions with tv-output (800x600) because of the scanlines.

forum member jay has a similar problem using a television:
http://www.computerbrains.com/ccs64/for ... .php?t=557

i can confirm the described keyboard-bug with video options "update mode=frame" and "sync=screen".
i hope that this issue will be fixed, it's more important than the
k6-2+ thing.