CCS64 Forum

A forum to discuss issues about CCS64!
It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 9:01 am

All times are UTC + 2 hours

Post subject: Version 3.7 Game bugs
PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2009 1:32 pm 

Black Tiger - Multiple different images tried, same results...Once reaching the Title Screen, music is garbled and you can continue no further. Emulator just loops back and forth showing title screen details and high score listing with garbled music playing. Same images work fine under Vice and pressing the joystick button allows you to start the game. You can not continue and further or start a game in CCS 3.7.

Gauntlet III (3) - Emulator crashes with error once selecting characters and pressing Space Bar to continue. As with Black Tiger, multiple images were tried and all ended with the same results. Same images work fine under Vice. See here for more details:

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=2162

-Trebor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2009 2:11 pm 
Site Co-Admin

Have you tried using different 1541/Kernel ROMs? (CCS64 comes with Kernel Rev 2, try Kernel Rev 3 instead.)
Some game 'problems' are not emulator problems, but ROM incompatibilities...

Stuart Toomer.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:18 am 

Stuart Toomer wrote:
Have you tried using different 1541/Kernel ROMs? (CCS64 comes with Kernel Rev 2, try Kernel Rev 3 instead.)
Some game 'problems' are not emulator problems, but ROM incompatibilities...

Thank you for the reply. I switched the default KERNAL.ROM for the one I found that was originally archived as "kernal.901227-03.bin". I renamed that to KERNAL.ROM and tried both games again. Same exact problems/errors still exist.

As a side question, why does CCS64 use the revision 2 Kernal ROM (The one I found is archived as "kernal.901227-02.bin"), when the information for these ROMs show Revision 3 to be...

"This 8-kilobyte 2364 ROM is the third and essentially last revision of the Commodore 64 KERNAL. It is the most widely spread version. ";

while Revision 2 of the Kernal ROM is stated to be...

"This 8-kilobyte 2364 ROM is the second revision of the Commodore 64 KERNAL. It is the second most widely spread version."?

Would not the third revision be the one CCS64 should be packaged with?

Regardless, as stated earlier, using revision 3 does not change anything for these two games. The same exact bugs still exist with the revision 3 KERNAL.

Thanks,
Trebor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 3:10 am 

UPDATE...

Stuart, I came across your post here:

viewtopic.php?t=1473

I installed both ROMS in that zip [The C1541.ROM and KERNAL.ROM]. That ROM combination fixed the problem with Black Tiger. However, the same exact problem still occurrs with GAUNTELT III.

If you can please be so kind to let me know what is the original/exact descripion {I.E. Long file "bin" name} of those two ROMs in your build, I would greatly appreciate it.

Again, I am grateful for the help, but GAUNTLET III appears to be a definite bug with CCS64. Again, the problem does not occur with VICE (For the record, I also copied over and renamed VIce's used Kernal ROM to CCS64 and the same exact problem results with Gauntlet III).

Regards,
Trebor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 7:36 am 
Site Co-Admin

Trebor wrote:
UPDATE...

Stuart, I came across your post here:

viewtopic.php?t=1473

I installed both ROMS in that zip [The C1541.ROM and KERNAL.ROM]. That ROM combination fixed the problem with Black Tiger. However, the same exact problem still occurrs with GAUNTELT III.

If you can please be so kind to let me know what is the original/exact descripion {I.E. Long file "bin" name} of those two ROMs in your build, I would greatly appreciate it.

Again, I am grateful for the help, but GAUNTLET III appears to be a definite bug with CCS64. Again, the problem does not occur with VICE (For the record, I also copied over and renamed VIce's used Kernal ROM to CCS64 and the same exact problem results with Gauntlet III).

Regards,
Trebor

I think I am using C64 Kernel Revision 3 (KERNAL.ROM) and JiffyDOS 6.01 (C1541.ROM). To be honest, it was so long ago now...

Yes, CCS64 should be packed with C64 Kernel Revision 3, but it is packaged with Revision 2 instead - this was Hakan's preference.

I have passed both problems on to Hakan, but his in the middle of another house-move...

Stuart Toomer.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 12:06 pm 

Thanks again for the reply.

I appreciate the information respecting the source/origin of the ROM files you are utilizing.

I wish Hakan the best with his move and look forward to (hopefully) seeing these bugs squashed... :-)

Just as one last final comment, it would be nice if perhaps as an "enhancement request" that CCS64 would offer the various different kernal and c1541/1571 ROM images via the options (F9) menu(s).

On a larger scale, I'm curious if it has been documented anywhere by anyone or any team for C64 images which are (in)compatible with what ROM (combinations).

-Trebor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 1:18 pm 

One last thing I tried. I took the ROMS from WinVice 2.0 and tried used them in CCS64 3.7 to see the results.

From the WinVice DRIVES folder 'dos1541' --> 'C1541.ROM'
From the WinVice C64 folder 'kernal' --> 'KERNAL.ROM'

Black Tiger once again loaded and plays perfectly.

Gauntlet III made it passed the inital "Pirate Information" screens and appears to start loading the game (You see the colored line pattern flashing on the screen), but after a few seconds stops to a blank screen with no further drive activity. Which once again confirms (I believe) that there is a definite bug with CCS64 3.7 for Gauntelt III. No matter what ROM combinations I try (Including the ones you provided, the additional ones I highlighted earlier, and the ones for WinVice 2.0 in which the game runs perfectly), Gauntelt III still either crashes, fails, or freezes under CCS64 3.7 at some point when trying to load the game.

Nonetheless, the fixed results for Black Tiger shows at the very least that perhaps CCS64 needs to be packages with different or additonal ROMs and to perhaps make switching/choosing among the ROM offerings/combinations available via the option menus (F9). Again, it would be good to know if there is any list or work done by a person or group what has tested some (all?) of the ROMs and found the (in)compatibility among the images/games.

Regards,
Trebor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 2:48 pm 
Site Co-Admin

Hi Trebor,

I have added Gauntlet 3 to the fix-list for Hakan also!

There isn't a collated list of game compatibility issues that I am aware of, unless somebody else knows of such a knowledge-base. I have made a Sticky topic in the C64 And Games sub-forum, which contains what information I do have.

Stuart Toomer.