CCS64 Forum

A forum to discuss issues about CCS64!
It is currently Mon Sep 01, 2014 3:40 pm

All times are UTC + 2 hours

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2011 8:03 pm 

I'm using CCS64 3.5 as newer versions do not have correct vsync support. I already posted this problem some days ago but I found out that changing settings from 32 to 16 bit does not solve the problem (it must have been an coincidence).

With this version (I didn't try any newer version) I have severe problems with the joystick keys. I only set joystick 1 (second joystick is turned off) and I set the 4 cursor keys and left ctrl for fire.

When playing games sometimes keys suddenly get stuck (e.g. always going left or the joystick does not react for a second). I press in the other direction but the sprite goes to the other direction (which got stuck) as soon as I release the other direction key. After some moments, sometimes it takes quite a while, it's not stuck anymore and I can continue playing normally. But this key stucking could appear anytime. I tried a lot of different settings in the options, even the compatibility mode with Win NT or Win 2000 but nothing helps.

My configuration: AMD64 X2 4200+, 2 GB RAM, 1 TB HD, ArcadeVGA (using 352x288x16 in 50 Hz), JPAC (as interface for arcade joystick and crt monitor), Win XP SP3 (all latest updates).

By the way: this key stucking problem appears with CCS64 only - no problems with WinVICE (which unfortunately does not support vsync) or any other emulators.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2011 11:03 pm 
Site Co-Admin

I still think you need a more powerful machine. Try running in full-screen mode and/or reduce your quality settings.

Stuart Toomer.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2011 10:41 am 

Stuart Toomer wrote:
I still think you need a more powerful machine. Try running in full-screen mode and/or reduce your quality settings.

My settings are low quality settings - I'm using full screen with 352 x 288 pixels in 50 Hz and 16 bit color depth. What could I additionally do to improve my situation with CCS64?

I'm really wondering about that strange behavior - I never experienced this with any other emulator on my machine. So I can not believe that my PC is not powerful enough!? Don't you think that there maybe a problem with the code for the joystick keys? Maybe it does not tolerate the JPAC and the second keyboard I attached via Bluetooth?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2011 2:06 pm 

It defuses the situation if sound is set to 22kHz instead of 44kHz. Joystick keys react normal then (at least most of the time). I can not believe that a simple C64 emulator requires a hardware more then a AMD64 X2 4200+ if the specs of CCS64 mention a Pentium PC for normal usage...

I also tried to switch on both Joystick ports at the same time (with different keys, of course) and this does not interrupt normal playing at all. It is not recommended in the manual (and I do not know why) but with different keysets I didn't notice any problems with that.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 10:34 am 

The problem with the joystick is still not totally solved in version 3.9. I still think there is a small bug somewhere in the code - at least it looks like that there is one.

It still happens now and then while playing that the joystick gets stuck at the left position - only left! It looks like only the joystick on control port 1 is affected. So the player sprite suddenly moves to the left without pressing left the whole time. Only pressing left again, sometimes another direction and then left, releases the "stuck" left direction. It happens totally random, like a loose contact...

Such a behavior is described in the manual that it happened before on WinNT or such (I can not remember the exact words at the moment). So it looks like that the bug is still there. Maybe it has something to do with sync to screen I'll try to check that but nevertheless I need sync to screen.

I do not think that it has something to do with my computer, emulation speed should be sufficient on my updated AMD64 X4 640 with 4 x 3 GHz, 4 GB RAM and latest WinXP SP3.

Would be interesting if Hakan can check the code for something suspicious.