CCS64 Forum

A forum to discuss issues about CCS64!
It is currently Thu Sep 21, 2017 4:00 pm

All times are UTC + 2 hours

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2015 9:52 am 

I just runned a very impressive demo called Comaland 2014 on CCS64.
Most of it runs great however in the final part (on disk 4) a bowl is showed and names are falling down in it.
Also some sampled music is played.
To be honest this sounds terrible and I believe it's a CCS64 bug.
I also tried it in Vice and Hoxs64 and it sounds a lot better in those emulators.
COuld also be a mistake I made in the sound configuration.
Can anyone please try and confirm the bug?
The demo can be found here by the way: http://csdb.dk/release/download.php?id=166167

Kind regards,

Rene

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2015 1:43 pm 

Can anyone confirm this sound bug?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2015 11:25 pm 
Site Co-Admin

I am testing this. Have you tried adjusting the SID Filters? I will report back...

Stuart Toomer.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2015 9:42 am 

Yes, I tried adjusting the fileters, but it didn't help.
I even disabled the filters, but it doesn't improve.
It sounds a whole lot better in Vice and Hoxs64. I hope Hakan can fix this bug.

The default filter settings in CCS64 seem to be a problem by the way. A lot of sid songs sound weird because of the current filter settings.
I think a lot of "problems" can be avoided with other/better filter settings. Maybe it's a good idea to find out to change the default filter setting to a better one.
To be honest I can't find a good setting for the filters. What settings are you using Stuart?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2015 9:02 pm 
Site Co-Admin

I've made an AVI video (XviD video and MP3 audio) of what it looks/sounds like on my PC. You need to ensure that you have the New SID Model (8580) selected, instead of (the default) Old SID Model (6581) selected, in the audio options; apart from that, I am using the default SID Filter options. I am using a test build of CCS64 v3.9.2; but as far as I know, no audio changes have been made, only some graphical fixes.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/ua4ygf0udr8o8 ... 3.avi?dl=0

Can you please check and see if it's similar to what you hear? I only have CCS64 installed, so haven't checked Hoxs64/VICE. There does appear to be a lot of back-ground noise, but I can make-out the words. I don't know what it's meant to sound like on a real C64.

Stuart Toomer.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2015 10:16 pm 

Thanks for all your effort Stuart. I appreciate it.

The video you made is exactly what I hear on my PC. All the noise you hear shouldn't be there. At least not this much. I tried it on vice, Hoxs an even a real C64 (the C model) and it sounds a whole lot better than the video. There is also some noise with C64 sampling.
I also made a video. You can find it here for a while: http://www.vdpoel.org/Video_vice.avi (it's case sensitive)
You will notice the difference. Samples are much clearer.
It looks like a special sound trick is done. Not 1 but 2 or 3 samples are played at once. I think that's what's causing the problem in CCS64.

Great to hear 3.9.2 is around the corner. Hopefully this bug can be fixed in this release.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2015 10:41 pm 
Site Co-Admin

I will add this to the CCS64 Bug-List and e-mail it to Hakan...

Stuart Toomer.

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2016 11:50 am 

I just looked in the histry of Hoxs64 and noticed this sound bug was also present in versions before Hoxs 1.0.8.8
The history.txt mentions this "Sound improvement fix for last part of Comaland 2014" as one of the fixes in version 1.0.8.8

Maybe Hakan can contact David Horrocks, the programmer of Hoxs64, to find out what caused this sound bug and to ask how he fixed it so Hakan can do the same for CCS64?

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2016 7:56 pm 
Site Co-Admin

I have contacted David Horrocks about this improvement and I will let you know if I get any contact back from him about it...

Stuart Toomer.

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2016 10:44 pm 
Site Co-Admin

I have now given the information supplied by David Horrocks to Hakan; so hopefully Hakan will fix this problem, when he has available time to work on CCS64 again. We have to be patient, as Hakan is a very busy guy!

Stuart Toomer.

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 8:28 am 

That's great Stuart. I know Hakan is busy, so we just have to be patient. It's just good to know Hakan has a lead how to fix it now.
It's quiet in C64 emulation land, but that's because all emulators are already close to perfection.
No update on Vice for ages, Hoxs64 is just a tiny update and CCS64 had a great update a few monts ago but is almost free of (known) bugs now.

The only realy big improvement I'm still hoping to see is in Vice. No working screen sync on the windows version and as far as I can see it's not planned to be fixed too. So CCS64 is stil the best emulator for me.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2016 12:33 pm 

Just a bit curious if Hakan was able to fix this bug.
I know he's a very, very busy guy, but some info would be great.