CCS64 Forum

A forum to discuss issues about CCS64!
It is currently Sat Dec 16, 2017 5:20 am

All times are UTC + 2 hours

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2008 6:34 pm 

This bug was in 3.4 and is still in 3.6

I've just downloaded the 3.6 version.

What I'm getting is that while I'm racing the game freezes for a little bit. Actually you can't even access the menus, they just come down as empty white spaces, and this lasts for about 10 to 15 seconds. This was a problem I found in 3.4 and it still exists in 3.6 but I think the occurences of freezing is lower. Sorry I haven't had much time to look into the problem a little more but maybe someone could look into it.

Has anyone else seen this issue?

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2008 7:01 pm 
Site Co-Admin

What you are probably observing is the result of inefficiently-implemented graphics drivers, which you (as the user) cannot help. Hakan re-write the DirectX drawing routines in CCS64 V3.6 specifically to increase graphical frame-rates for inefficiently-implemented graphics drivers, by using off-screen graphical buffering in CCS64 (which he really shouldn't have had to do). This helps to improve performance under these circumstances. However, I guess it depends upon how inefficient the graphics drivers are, as to how much of a speed-up/slow-down is observed.

The fact that you said the occurences/periods of the freezing observed in the game are lower in CCS64 V3.6 than in previous versions would point to this improvement made by Hakan in CCS64 V3.6, since this is the only improvement made to the graphics drawing routines in CCS64 V3.6 (this improvement was made specifically for the reasons of certain users reporting graphical slowness in CCS64). I'm not sure whether Hakan can further improve his improvement!

Suggestions :-
1. Try to reduce the Audio quality, to reduce the audio processing element, in order to leave more CPU processing power for the graphics.
2. Try to use a lower-resolution graphics mode, in order to reduce graphics processing.
3. Try to use a full-screen graphics mode, because the full-screen modes are less CPU-intensive than Windowed modes.

Stuart Toomer.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 3:09 am 

I'm using it on a laptop with 256 Mb's RAM. It's an old Toshiba Tecra 8100. It could be the reason for the freezes.

I did notice in v 3.4 that if I maximized the window the game became very, very sluggish (jerky still motion with 2 seconds between each still frame) very agonizing to watch and pretty much unplayable. In fact if I even adjusted the window size it would become very slow. That's for v3.4

I have not tried to maximize the window in v3.6 yet. I will give it a shot when I have some time.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 12:03 pm 
Site Co-Admin

Whenever I used to increase the size of the window in Windowed Mode in CCS64, it put a lot more load on the CPU, so this caused performance to degrade noticably - you need a very powerful CPU, from my past experience of Windowed Mode in CCS64. So now, I use Windowed 1x Mode or a Full-Screen Mode - even Windowed 2x Mode can be quite intensive - and I am using a Pentium-IV 3-GHz CPU, a quite powerful graphics card, and more than adequate RAM (my computer is a little bit old by modern statndards, I suppose, but I don't want to upgrade it yet).

Have a play around yourself and see what graphics modes suit your system/preference the best. I think that the Full-Screen Modes require exclusive access (i.e. have nothing else running on the Windows Desktop, when not using a Windowed Mode).

Stuart Toomer.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 4:41 pm 

Just wanted to report that the problem still persists in version v3.91. :(

Runs fine in v3.1 though. :)