CCS64 Forum

A forum to discuss issues about CCS64!
It is currently Sun Dec 17, 2017 3:59 pm

All times are UTC + 2 hours

Post subject: CCS64 V3.8 release...
PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2010 12:10 am 
Site Co-Admin

CCS64 V3.8 has been released. The following bug-fixes/enhancements have been made:

- FIX: Fixed a bug in the sprite-to-sprite collision-detection register.

- FIX: Fixed a bug with the 'Windows' menu Options -> Video behaviour.

- FIX: Made the graphics-drawing routines multi-threaded, for better performance.

- FIX: Fixed a bug which caused the QuickLoad/QuickSave features to hang.

- ADD: Two new Filter options, called CRT Television and CRT Monitor, which work only with the Window 2x screen mode and not with any other non-default video settings. These new Filter options include the after-lightening effect.

- INF: CCS64 V3.7 was compiled with Visual Studio 2008, which led to an in-compatibility with Windows 98/ME, but greater compatibility with Windows 7; when previous versions were compiled with Visual Studio 2005, this had the opposite effect.

Stuart Toomer.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2010 8:35 pm 
Site Co-Admin

Stuart Toomer wrote:
It appears that the Start Video Recording option causes a hang, after selecting the video compressor to use. Hakan knows about this problem already and will be making an urgent re-release shortly. Thanks for your patience.

Hakan has made a re-release that fixes this problem. Please re-download CCS64, if you need to. Thanks for your understanding.

Stuart Toomer.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 10:47 pm 

Hi and thanks for the best Commodore 64 emulator!

My question is specific to v3.8 - I see two executables: CCS64.exe and CCS64-2005.exe.

From your post I understand that these two versions has been made with two different visual studio version compilers.
Now, I run Windows 7 and can see that CCS64.exe occupies almost as double as much of CPU usage when compared to CCS64-2005.exe in Task manager. Functionally, however, I can't see any difference among the two. Actually, I did make a little test to determine which one of them is faster, and result is that in "Maximum speed" mode CCS64-2005.exe achieves ~1500 % with 50 fps and CCS64.exe just ~750 % @ 50 fps - the result in line with CPU usage pattern of these processes.

Is there any special functional benefit in using CCS64-2005.exe over CCS64.exe or vice versa, or the performace difference is merely result of different compilers efficiency ?

Thanks,

Jovica A.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 7:34 am 
Site Co-Admin

jocaaa wrote:
Hi and thanks for the best Commodore 64 emulator!

My question is specific to v3.8 - I see two executables: CCS64.exe and CCS64-2005.exe.

From your post I understand that these two versions has been made with two different visual studio version compilers.
Now, I run Windows 7 and can see that CCS64.exe occupies almost as double as much of CPU usage when compared to CCS64-2005.exe in Task manager. Functionally, however, I can't see any difference among the two. Actually, I did make a little test to determine which one of them is faster, and result is that in "Maximum speed" mode CCS64-2005.exe achieves ~1500 % with 50 fps and CCS64.exe just ~750 % @ 50 fps - the result in line with CPU usage pattern of these processes.

Is there any special functional benefit in using CCS64-2005.exe over CCS64.exe or vice versa, or the performace difference is merely result of different compilers efficiency ?

Thanks,

Jovica A.

CCS.EXE has more compatibility with Windows 7 than CCS-2005.EXE has, but CCS.EXE does not work with Windows 98/ME. CCS-2005.EXE is meant primarily for people running Windows 98/ME. Both EXEs have the same functionality from the user's point-of-view, but there is a Windows compatibility issue between compilers; hence the two builds with different compilers, in order to give a working version of CCS64 for all versions of Windows. The difference you are experience is probably, as you suggest, due to compilation differences between the two EXEs - without two separate EXEs, Windows 98/ME users would not be able to use CCS64 at all. So, just use whichever version you are happier with, and works best for your version of Windows.

Stuart Toomer.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2012 3:20 am 

Best Emu, thank you so much for your effort! Will we see a 3.9? or 4.0? I plan on registering but what are the main differences between reg and not?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 7:42 pm 
Site Co-Admin

There is no difference between the registered version and the un-registered version - the registration fee contributes towards all of the developer's hard efforts.

Hakan is busy developing CCS64 V3.9, but has little free time at the moment. I will keep the message-board updated with any further news...

Stuart Toomer.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 8:33 pm 

He should not forget to fix the sync to screen bug that has not been fixed since version 3.6!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 8:55 pm 
Site Co-Admin

ClarkKent wrote:
He should not forget to fix the sync to screen bug that has not been fixed since version 3.6!

Yes, he is also aware of this issue, and is busy fixing this as we speak...

Stuart Toomer.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 7:35 am 

Maybe he should just release a beta to be able to test this if it is really working now...

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 10:26 pm 

...and it would also be nice if saving would be possible to regular Windows directory, too! At the moment saving is possible to images only...

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 4:00 pm 

Hakan is a god among men!

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 6:32 pm 

There are rumors out there that CCS64 is dead :(

maybe editing the Main web page to reflect that its not and fix the forums link. (it took me ages to find them again after a system re-install)

This is still my favorite C64 emulator , any eta on the next update ?

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 10:04 pm 
Site Co-Admin

A new release will happen soon. I have just finished final testing of CCS64 V3.9. Thanks for your patience...

Stuart Toomer.

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2012 7:31 pm 

Don't you think there should be a beta before final release? You know, sync to screen isn't working since 3.6 and was not repaired until today. And nobody can tell if the "repaired routine" will work in final...

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2012 8:53 pm 
Site Co-Admin

ClarkKent wrote:
Don't you think there should be a beta before final release? You know, sync to screen isn't working since 3.6 and was not repaired until today. And nobody can tell if the "repaired routine" will work in final...

I understand what you mean, which is correct in strict software development terms. However, Hakan has relatively little time to spend on CCS64 changes nowadays, and may have less time in the near future; so if we delay the official release of CCS64 V3.9 for a public testing phase, it might take quite a while until CCS64 V3.9 'sees the light of day'. It has already been 2 years since the previous release. I have tested the Sync To Screen fix (I test CCS64 for Hakan as much as possible before he officially releases it) and the updated EXE does not crash/hang for me; but thereagain, I did not report the original problem. On balance, I would prefer to get the current build released a.s.a.p., so that people have a more updated version of CCS64 with some fixes etc.

Stuart Toomer.