CCS64 Forum

A forum to discuss issues about CCS64!
It is currently Sat Oct 21, 2017 8:41 am

All times are UTC + 2 hours

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2007 3:55 pm 

Ladies and gentleman,

I've found it...the very first C64 program don't working with CCS64 and no other C64 Emulator (except Hoxs 64 with a special demo fix).

Quote:
This shareware version should run perfectly with all games or demos, even those using the 1541 disk drive.

That's true. After years of using CCS64 with thousands of games and demos I can admit that, at least until the 13th May 2007. So if anybody would be able to run this demo with the current version of CCS64 it would be a wonder:

http://noname.c64.org/csdb/release/?id=48577

It even don't start and shows a special screen "No VIC detected" if it will not run on a real C64. I ask myself what this guy used to detect a difference between CCS64 and the original. It's the first program don't work with CCS64.

There's an "Emulator-Fix" around to pass the VIC-Check but still CCS64, Vice and older version of Hoxs64 display a sprite from "Krestage 3" below at the wrong position.

You should download and watch it with the fixed version, at least to keep the promise alive inside your readme.;)

Good luck and greetings from Germany!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2007 9:02 am 

Hoxs64 loads correctly also the original demo.
You can throw away the emu-fix version because now it is obsolete.

But I have found other games in the past few years that wouldn't run on ccs64. Next time I will find another, I will post it on this forum so I can be more helpfull.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2007 8:32 pm 

That would be interesting.

I've testet thousands of games even with the hardest fastloader and none of them having problems with CCS64 (except special 1541 loaders or copy protection even making troubles on my real machine).;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2007 6:46 pm 

This is one:

Totally Stoned II demo has a couple of "parts" (prg) that don't display anything on screen while music still goes on.

Hoxs 1.0.4.18 displays the fully demo perfectly.

Winvice 3.2 won't load anything at all.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2007 2:21 am 

Tested with Hoxs (current version), CCS64 V3.2 and Vice V1.21 simultary. Works perfectly even with Vice. No grafic glitches or missing sounds or graphics on every Emulator. It's seems that you're using wrong settings or missing parameters with 1541 Emulation. And I never heard from such WinVice Version. You should try the latest version from www.viceteam.org or CCS64.:)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2007 8:59 am 
Site Co-Admin

I've pased the Krestage 3 problems on to Hakan for investigation/fixing.

Stuart Toomer.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2007 11:06 am 

Ok, I've tested again.
Sorry it was Winvice 1.21, not 3.2... it was a mistake.
Anyway, I've check the drive settings on winvice and not it works ok in every part.

On ccs64 3.2 one part of the demo on side A of the tape, won't show graphics at all while the other parts of it load ok.

Have a check.
The part that has problems is the third block, if you load the demo from the beginning (it's the one with the full screen pics flying around.. the sphinx and others, taken from amiga graphic old demo)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2007 5:11 pm 

Stuart Toomer wrote:
I've pased the Krestage 3 problems on to Hakan for investigation/fixing.

I even write to him and get an answer.:)

He said to me that he already discovered the 9 sprites/line phenomena in 1995 when he researched the C64, but was too lazy to implement the feature as he never thought someone could make something useful of the effect.

The demos was coded from Roland Tögel who was one of the beta testers of CCS64. So that shouldn't be amazed to much.;)

koseidon72 wrote:
Have a check.
The part that has problems is the third block, if you load the demo from the beginning (it's the one with the full screen pics flying around.. the sphinx and others, taken from amiga graphic old demo)

I watched it very carefully but I didn't see any difference or it moves so fast that it's to difficult to note any difference. Maybe you should post a screenshot.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2007 10:01 pm 

I can't post any screenshot because the screen is totally black on that part of demo while other parts work well.

The screen is black but I can hear the music.

It can't be an emulation bad configuration because in this case other parts of the demo would display errors as well, but they don't.

Krestage 3 demo above the 9 sprites on a row has an hardware check.
That is the main problem.
This check passes only on Hoxs64 emulator and to get it working on other emulators like ccs64 it should be used the fixed version.

I think this is the point to talk to the ccs64 programmer.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2007 8:38 am 
Site Co-Admin

koseidon72 wrote:
I think this is the point to talk to the CCS64 programmer.

As I said above, I already have passed this on to Hakan. Let's wait for a response from him first.

Stuart Toomer.

Last edited by Stuart Toomer on Fri Jun 01, 2007 7:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2007 7:54 am 
Site Co-Admin

koseidon72 wrote:
I think this is the point to talk to the CCS64 programmer.

I have had a response from Hakan. He is very busy re-implementing the display/collision-detection mechanisms within CCS64. His latest work-in-progress version works with Krestage 3 perfectly, even the VIC Detection check. He is currently de-bugging CCS64, since it has meant a rewrite-and-put-back-together of the entire CCS64 source code.

The next version of CCS64 will be slightly more CPU-intensive than previous versions, due to the nature of the changes made.

Stuart Toomer.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2007 10:26 am 

Thanks for this news.
Didn't know sprite collision wasn't enabled.
But how do sprite collision games work on previous ccs64 version without it?
Or I didn't understand what is the meaning of collision detection?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2007 5:37 pm 
Site Co-Admin

koseidon72 wrote:
Or I didn't understand what is the meaning of collision detection?

You were confused. The display routine worked with 48- and 50-pixel wide sprites, but the collision-detection routine worked only with 48-pixel wide (normal) sprites. Hakan is combining the two routines into one, in order to work in a more accurate/synchronised manner. Hence, it will be a bit more CPU-intensive.

Stuart Toomer.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2007 10:06 am 

Ok thanks.
Hope this cpu more intensive won't reduce performance too much.
My P4 2000 works well with latest versions but I'm afraid it won't be enough for next one...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2007 10:28 am 
Site Co-Admin

koseidon72 wrote:
Ok thanks.
Hope this cpu more intensive won't reduce performance too much.
My P4 2000 works well with latest versions but I'm afraid it won't be enough for next one...

I've not noticed a performance difference so far; but there again, I am using a P4 3GHz machine. When the extra fixes are made, we'll see what the difference is performance-wise.

Stuart Toomer.