CCS64 Forum

A forum to discuss issues about CCS64!
It is currently Fri Dec 15, 2017 9:53 pm

All times are UTC + 2 hours

Post subject: Freeze States
PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2007 10:36 pm 

I was looking around but I didn't find an answer. Has the freeze state format changed from 3.2 to 3.4? My freeze states load fine in 3.2 but not 3.4.

Also if they did does anyone know of a way to convert them? I know I posted that question before but the guy never responded to any inquiries. I keep old freeze states on some games to go back and play the "mini" games in the game but everytime it changes it really is a pain to either play it from the start or load from disk vs. a freeze state. Thank you for any help and have a great day! :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 8:10 am 
Site Co-Admin

Yes, the format of the freeze files changed in CCS64 V3.3, due to the core graphical changes made, for accuracy purposes. This was mentioned in the Release Note. There is no file converter program, as of yet; but someone did write one when this file format changed before.

Stuart Toomer.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 6:11 pm 

Hi Stuart, thanks again for the quick reply. Just one more question. :) Is there a link in the forums to the old conversion program or a thread to follow any progress if someone does create a new one? I found another site that a guy talked about it (I think the old one you are referring to) but it didn't have a link so I posted a comment but he never replied.

Is there an archive of previous versions? I am not sure what version I was using but the version 2 nor the version 3 on the website load the game. I think it was a version in between. I completed it somewhere around April of 2005. The games I have saved in freeze states are:

Alternate Reality: The Dungeon
Legacy of the Ancients
Legend of Blackthorne
Phantasie I through III
Questron II

What I was thinking if I could get a hold of a version that works I would just save the games to disk and just have multiple save disks instead of multiple freeze states that way they should load from the disk regardless of the format of the freeze states. The only one I can't save to disk is Alternate Reality: The Dungeon since I could never find a version that allowed you to save characters to disk so it is only playable through freeze states. Unless you happen to know of one? :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 11:31 pm 
Site Co-Admin

wilson wrote:
Hi Stuart, thanks again for the quick reply. Just one more question. :) Is there a link in the forums to the old conversion program or a thread to follow any progress if someone does create a new one? I found another site that a guy talked about it (I think the old one you are referring to) but it didn't have a link so I posted a comment but he never replied.

I'm afriad I don't have a link to the original topic - it was quite some time ago. Perhaps try starting a new topic. The guy involved was StevenRoy, I think - try contacting him and see what he says.

wilson wrote:
Is there an archive of previous versions? I am not sure what version I was using but the version 2 nor the version 3 on the website load the game. I think it was a version in between. I completed it somewhere around April of 2005. The games I have saved in freeze states are:

Alternate Reality: The Dungeon
Legacy of the Ancients
Legend of Blackthorne
Phantasie I through III
Questron II

What I was thinking if I could get a hold of a version that works I would just save the games to disk and just have multiple save disks instead of multiple freeze states that way they should load from the disk regardless of the format of the freeze states. The only one I can't save to disk is Alternate Reality: The Dungeon since I could never find a version that allowed you to save characters to disk so it is only playable through freeze states. Unless you happen to know of one? :)

I'm afriad there isn't an official archive of old releases of CCS64 as such, but you can download CCS64 V3.2 from my web-site:
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/stuart.too ... v32_32.zip

Alternative Reality: The Dungeon (AR:TD) can be downloaded from the Magyar C64 HQ (it is in Hungarian and is a fantastic resource):
http://c64.hardwired.hu/

I hope this information helps you.

Stuart Toomer.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 8:52 am 

Stuart Toomer wrote:
I'm afriad there isn't an official archive of old releases of CCS64

There is no link from the website, but you can still download them with these direct links:
CCS64 V3.0 Beta 1.1
CCS64 V3.0 Beta 1.2
CCS64 V3.0 Beta 1.3
CCS64 V3.0 Beta 1.4
CCS64 V3.0 Beta 1.5
CCS64 V3.0 Beta 1.6
CCS64 V3.0 Beta 1.7
CCS64 V3.0 Beta 1.8
CCS64 V3.0 Beta 1.9
CCS64 V3.0 Official
CCS64 V3.1 Official
CCS64 V3.2 Official
CCS64 V3.3 Official
CCS64 V3.4 Official

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 7:11 pm 

WOW K.C. you're the keeper of the archives, thank you very much!! :D That will help so much, amazing.

Thank you Stuart I sent a PM to StevenRoy asking if he had the older version just to try and convert some freeze states. I think it would be a handy feature or utility to be able to keep freeze states current with the version format changes. Maybe in the future. :)

I downloaded AR:TD from the site. It's a really nice site. The version is from the group UCF which seems to be the most common version. It loads and runs just fine but you can't save the game. If you goto the Utility menu from the main menu it asks for disk 1 side 1 and when you put that in it doesn't recognize it as the disk and keeps asking for disk 1 side 1. If I try to save in game it looks like it would work without calling for the original but of course you need a save disk first. Do you know of a site that I might be able to post the question? Maybe someone has created just a save disk to work minus the other utilities on the menu. I was able to navigate the site but not sure if I could register or post comments. Thank you again for all the help I really appreciate it!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 12:19 am 

Try creating a blank .g64, then using fast hackem or the like to fastcopy from the .d64 to the .g64. Might work then.

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 10:21 am 

wilson wrote:
Thank you Stuart I sent a PM to StevenRoy asking if he had the older version just to try and convert some freeze states. I think it would be a handy feature or utility to be able to keep freeze states current with the version format changes. Maybe in the future. :)

I just got your PM.

...Yeah, I've been away for a while.

What we're talking about here is my "CCS64 Freeze File Patcher", a small DOS program I wrote in QuickBasic that'll copy the data from any freeze file to a new file, using another freeze file as a template.

I wonder if I still have it. I'll rummage around and see what I can find. It might need to be ported for Windows XP compatibility, though.

Post subject: Re: Re:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 6:14 pm 
Site Co-Admin

StevenRoy wrote:
wilson wrote:

I just got your PM.

...Yeah, I've been away for a while.

What we're talking about here is my "CCS64 Freeze File Patcher", a small DOS program I wrote in QuickBasic that'll copy the data from any freeze file to a new file, using another freeze file as a template.

I wonder if I still have it. I'll rummage around and see what I can find. It might need to be ported for Windows XP compatibility, though.

Yes, see if you can dig that QuickBASIC source code out. I have Visual BASIC 6 installed on this machine, so I could see if I could port the program for Windows use...

Stuart Toomer.

Post subject: Re: Freeze States
PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 12:02 am 

Hey Stuart did StevenRoy ever get back to you on the "CCS64 Freeze File Patcher"? I'm still looking for a "good" copy of AR:TD or a save disk to save games! :)

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2009 12:25 am 

zaphod wrote:
Try creating a blank .g64, then using fast hackem or the like to fastcopy from the .d64 to the .g64. Might work then.

I am not sure if you're still reading this post but I downloaded Fast Hack'em 1.9 and 9.5 from a Wiki article that is a compilation on a D64 disk. I used the program to copy the original to a .g64 disk and it copied fine and ran fine but still the same issue. It just keeps calling for Disk 1, Side 1.

I noticed on disk one of the UCF version they had a formatter program called 'A.R. Formatter" for the disks before decrunching the game. It's a pretty simple program with just a few lines of code to format 3 disks. I formatted 3 disks and I noticed the disk ID from disk 1 is different from the UCF disk 1 the program is on! So what I tried was to format a new disk and copy the files over but the game crashed everytime I ran it. Then I found 'D64 Editor' and I edited the disk ID to match the one from the 'A.R. Formatter' program on disk one.

Well now it accepts disk 1, side 1 and it asks for a blank disk but when I insert a blank disk the screen goes black and that's it. So by changing the disk ID it does get further but it won't format a game character disk. I tried creating a new character disk on a .d64, .g64, .g41 but all 3 types just hang on a black screen with the same results.

Your suggestion definitely helped me get a little further along and it's oh so close to working. I would be happy with just a working character disk even if the program doesn't but it just doesn't like a plain formatted disk. It must do something to the character disk?

Thanks and have a great evening.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 7:13 pm 

I have a working save game disk if anyone wants one. I would attach a zip copy but I don't think we can do that in the forums? I was on the 'C64 Preservation Project' website and I talked to Pete Rittwage and he wrote this as a reply to my question.

"I tried it with the original disks and it works fine. If you look at the version in Gamebase (UCF crack) there is a file called "AR Formatter" on the disk. On a real C64, you would run this on a disk first, then uncrunch the files onto it. The reason for this is that the disk ID on the disk was formatted with don't match the "cosmetic" disk ID on t18s0. Many disks are like this, and they must be run from a G41 for it to work since D64 doesn't support anything except the cosmetic disk ID."

Between modifying the D64 image Disk ID and his G64 save disk you can now save your game and load it. The only thing you can NOT do is create a new character disk from within the game.

Does anyone understand what he's saying or if it's possible to make a good copy? I don't understand the technical side of the C64 but I found this text in an Alternate Reality FAQ written by Robert Hagenström about distributing the game. "Philip Price, the copyright holder of the Alternate Reality series has granted free distribution of all versions of the original two AR games."

Cheers! :)