CCS64 Forum

A forum to discuss issues about CCS64!
It is currently Sun Oct 22, 2017 5:34 pm

All times are UTC + 2 hours

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2007 1:51 pm 

Hi, I am having serious trouble running this emulator, any time I so much as click on anything in the GUI menu, everything completely lags out and freezes for at least a few seconds simply trying to change disks is maddening.

...and then I get to a game. When I ran it yesterday, the game I tried ran fast and smooth.. but ever since I booted it up today it runs completely slow and jerky, yet I haven't changed any settings between then and now, and a reinstall does nothing. Please help.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2007 11:19 pm 
Site Co-Admin

From your explanation, it would suggest to me that there is a problem with your computer - something is causing it to run slowly. Perhaps try re-installing DirectX. Is it a fault with your graphics card/drivers, RAM, or some such component? CCS64 does not install anything in to Windows itself, so re-installing it would make no difference anyway.

Try deleting the C64.CFG file in the CCS64 installation folder and setting-up your options again in the CCS64 menu system, to see if some setting that you changed has suddenly caused the slowness (but I would doubt that this would be the culprit). However, since you also said that you haven't changed any CCS64 settings, I would doubt whether this would be the answer either.

Stuart Toomer.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 10:00 pm 

There doesn't appear to be anything wrong with my PC... It's quite powerful and I run countless emulators and progs without a hitch, this is the first time anything like this has happened. Maybe because i'm not running XP Service Pack 2?

The speed has returned to full for some reason I can't explain, and is mostly stable as long as I stay out of the GUI and use only the in-emu options... which I've sorta worked out, except how can you change games/disks without using the windows menus?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2007 7:31 am 
Site Co-Admin

Alopex wrote:
There doesn't appear to be anything wrong with my PC... It's quite powerful and I run countless emulators and progs without a hitch, this is the first time anything like this has happened. Maybe because i'm not running XP Service Pack 2?

The speed has returned to full for some reason I can't explain, and is mostly stable as long as I stay out of the GUI and use only the in-emu options... which I've sorta worked out, except how can you change games/disks without using the windows menus?

Very strange. I don't know why you're having problems with the Windows menus and not the Textual Menus. Use the 1541 Device 8 menu to insert/change disks (D64/G64 files) - similarly, use the Tape Device 1 menu to insert/change tapes (T64/TAP files).

You should upgrade to Windows XP SP2 (free download), since Windows XP un-patched/SP1 are no longer supported by Microsoft. I know that Windows XP SP1 fixes a boat-load of application compatibility issues (particularly Microsoft Office) and Windows XP SP2 beefs-up security.

Stuart Toomer.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2007 9:09 am 

I have the same problem.
ccs64 is very slow and uses around 95% of cpu power as shown in task manager.

Maybe there are some routines that aren't optimized with some pc configurations.

It seems to work well erasing the cfg files.
I'll test further.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 4:06 pm 

I have the same problem. CCS64's menus are unusable because of the speed.

My Config:
Windows XP SP2, 1GB RAM DDR-333, Athlon XP 2400+, ATI Radeon x700 with newest driver.

It is slower as if I would compress a 1GB file in the background with WinRAR and run CCS64... but Task manager only shows that a few percent CPU Power are used.

The only thing that helps a bit is to start CCS64 with Windows 95 compatibility mode.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 4:14 pm 
Site Co-Admin

mczero wrote:
I have the same problem. CCS64's menus are unusable because of the speed.

My Config:
Windows XP SP2, 1GB RAM DDR-333, Athlon XP 2400+, ATI Radeon x700 with newest driver.

It is slower as if I would compress a 1GB file in the background with WinRAR and run CCS64... but Task manager only shows that a few percent CPU Power are used.

The only thing that helps a bit is to start CCS64 with Windows 95 compatibility mode.

CCS64 does not require a Compatibility Mode setting, since it works natively. Perhaps the problem is due to excessive hard disk thrashing? It works perfectly fine for me on my PC and it is not a particularly high-end PC either. I'm not sure what to suggest here...

Stuart Toomer.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 4:32 pm 

I don't know what the Windows XP compatibility setting changes regarding CCS64. Perhaps it has something to do with DirectX.

Concerning the disk trashing: my HDD isn't in use while CCS64 is running. With the example of compressing some files I meant the CPU usage that would be eaten up by other programs. But thats not the case here.

I have a older version here, v3.0 beta 1.5 of CCS64, it is much lesser ressource hungry than the current one.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 4:39 pm 

I have the solution:

Adaptive Antialiasing interferes CCS64 behaviour.
Deactivate it and the problem is gone.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2007 3:54 am 
Site Co-Admin

mczero wrote:
I have the solution:

Adaptive Antialiasing interferes CCS64 behaviour.
Deactivate it and the problem is gone.

Where is this Adaptive AntiAliasing option? Do you mean the AntiAlias option in the Graphics Filter setting in CCS64, or something else? This has never caused me any problems, so perhaps it is a bug in your graphics drivers. I use ATI Radeon X600 SE graphics drivers.

Stuart Toomer.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2007 4:33 pm 

Yes I mean the Adaptive Antialiasing for DirectX option in the Catalyst Control Center, not to confuse with 2X or 4X Antialiasing. Adaptive Antialiasing is a special Antialiasing method.
Perhaps it is only a problem with the current ATI Driver. Haven't testet other driver versions. However, it only makes problems with CCS64.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2007 5:37 pm 
Site Co-Admin

mczero wrote:
Yes I mean the Adaptive Antialiasing for DirectX option in the Catalyst Control Center, not to confuse with 2X or 4X Antialiasing. Adaptive Antialiasing is a special Antialiasing method.
Perhaps it is only a problem with the current ATI Driver. Haven't testet other driver versions. However, it only makes problems with CCS64.

OK, so the solution is to disable this in the graphics driver settings, since it is causing too much over-head in processing.

Stuart Toomer.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 2:44 pm 

Sorry, but where can I find that option in Ati catalyst control utility?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2007 12:12 pm 

I have the same problem. I don't have an ATI card, but an nVidia based one, and I can't find any 'Adaptive AntiAliasing' option in the drivers.

I really think the error is in CCS64 because I have never encountered this in any other emulator/game/application. Also it is just the most recent versions that have this problem.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2007 2:27 pm 

I found out the reason for my problem.
I had a joystick-driver (gameport 2-axis 2-button analog) installed but the joystick wasn't connected. Either connecting the joystick or changing the input options in CCS64 to Key-set solves the problem. I guess removing the driver would do the same thing.

However I now discovered I can't use 32-bit fullscreen modes, as they just produce garbage on screen...