CCS64 Forum

A forum to discuss issues about CCS64!
It is currently Sat Dec 16, 2017 12:58 pm

All times are UTC + 2 hours

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 1:15 am 

Hi, I'm having serious difficulties, and I hope someone can help. I downloaded CCS64 and DirectX9.0 on my Windows 98. I started CCS64 and it was so big, I played with the video settings, but i wasn't sure what I was doing so I tried to get out of it to read the manual. I had changed the video setting, and when I clicked out, the screen went all flickery and any key presses resulted in the computer beeping at me. I turned it off and on, and got the message "Windows protection error. You must restart your computer." and it will only start in Safe mode. I have no idea how to fix this or what to do! Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 4:13 am 

A tech website said this error was caused by the win.com file and said just delete it, a new one will be made on boot. Instead what really happened is the computer says "cannot find file win.com" and I spent the next two hours trying to use DOS to move the win.com file back from the recycle bin to the Windows folder. Finally I'm back at the "Protection Error" but still with no idea what to do...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 7:39 am 
Site Co-Admin

CCS64 doesn't modify any Windows files, nor does it install any files in your Windows folder - you just put the files wherever you like, e.g. in a new folder somewhere on your local hard disk drive.

It sounds to me like you have a memory (RAM) problem and Windows is having a problem protecting part of that memory for itself. Try changing your computer's RAM for the same type, but newer. The type of RAM that your computer allows is documented in your motherboard manual.

Perhaps somebody else has another idea about this strange problem.

Stuart Toomer.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 3:17 pm 

You did 2 things before the problems started:
- Installed DirectX 9
- Started CCS64

CCS64 doesn't do much with your Windows config. So I don't think that CCS64 is the cause of the trouble.
Good chance that something went wrong with the installation of DirectX. Win98 isn't the most stable OS ever, and a little problem can cause a complete system crash as you see.

I think the best option is starting the PC from the Win98 CD and do a reinstallation of Windows 98. Most and maybe all data and settings will still be available after re-installation.

Pay special attention of the location folder Windows is installed to. Windows is standard installed in the folder C:\WINDOWS. When you do a re-installation, the setup program advises you to copy Windows files to the folder C:\WINDOWS.000. You have to change that to C:\WINDOWS.

Good luck!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 8:18 pm 

Well, I used Selective Start up and everything was on except the following:

DEVICE=C:\WINDOWS\EMM386.EXE NOEMS

If that's on the computer won't boot. I was told that that's something from Windows 95 that isn't needed on 98. BUT every now and then it says "Operating System not found" during startup or "illegal operation" on the desktop. I decided to just burn off my important files and reinstall the software. The disks that came with the computer don't offer any help really, they just erase and reinstall, that's it. I think this all might have been because of DirectX 9 and Windows 98, or maybe there's some funky old hardware in there that just doesn't work right with new software.

Long story short, I reinstalled 98. Thanks for the advice though, I think in the future I'll keep my documents on removable media and not get too attached to the OS in case it needs reinstalling!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 8:41 pm 
Site Co-Admin

The line below will cause no EMS memory to be available:

DEVICE=C:\WINDOWS\EMM386.EXE NOEMS

i.e. the memory from 640 Kb to 1 Mb, as far as I can remember. That will account for the memory problems.

Stuart Toomer.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 6:29 pm 

Windows 98 is no longer supported by Micro$oft for a reason ya know. When you changed your video settings, you should have booted to "Last known good configuration that worked". Heck if 98 even has that option. I cant remember.