CCS64 Forum

A forum to discuss issues about CCS64!
It is currently Sat Dec 16, 2017 1:07 pm

All times are UTC + 2 hours

Post subject: Joystick options
PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2005 11:09 pm 

I tried unsuccessfuly to set up my PC joystick for CCS64. It's probably me doing something wrong but then I thought what I really need is a digital joystick anyhow. I'd appreciate some experience based advice on which way I should go:

Does a digital joystick exist for the PC joystick port?

Is there a converter available so that I could use an existing digital joystick (or two) ?

Any other way?

I have Win 2000. Currently using CC64S v2 but can also use v3 if that makes a difference.

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

Post subject: Re: Joystick options
PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2005 8:51 pm 

blueandwhite wrote:
Does a digital joystick exist for the PC joystick port?

I don't think so, but there is a good one for USB. You can buy the Competition Pro joystick in a USB variant. Search google for competition pro usb

blueandwhite wrote:
Is there a converter available so that I could use an existing digital joystick (or two) ?

You can use the Stelladapter to connect an original Commodore or Atari joystick to your USB port.

blueandwhite wrote:
Any other way?

I modified a standard Logitech USB adapter so that I can connect my old Arcade joystick to it. CCS64 and VICE detect a Logitech USB gamepad, but I am playing with the good old joystick I used to play with at the real C64.
This is my favourite way to play in CCS64:

You can build it for yourself by soldering a connector to the contacts of the gamepad this way:

blueandwhite wrote:
I have Win 2000. Currently using CC64S v2 but can also use v3 if that makes a difference.

I am using Windows XP Pro with CCS64 v3 and Vice v1.16. Don't know if any of these options also work with v2

blueandwhite wrote:
Thanks in advance for any assistance.

You're welcome! :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2005 10:00 pm 

Thank you for informative reply. I'll probably get myself a Competition Pro. BTW How does one configure that in CCS64? I didn't see an option for USB port in the Joystick options.

I searched Google for an adaptor that supports two joysticks (and would be supported by CC64S) without luck. Do you know of one?

I'm impressed by your electronics ingenuity but I'm not into soldering so it wouldn't be for me.

Thanks again.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2005 11:11 pm 

How did you figure out the schematics KC? Very nice. My question to you is, what is the controller chip in the diagram?

And blueandwhite, soldering is simple give it a shot. KC has already done the hard part of it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2005 10:40 pm 

I read it in a Dutch computer magazine, but unfortunately the schemeatics were printed incorrectly. It is quite simple to find out what pins you need to connect to the contacts of the USB controller. Just push a real joystick into a certain direction and measure with a simple multi-meter what pins have a resistance of 0 Ohm.
When you open a standard USB-controller, you will see only one chip on the print. That is the controller chip what I was talking about.
When you take a closer look to the contacts under the buttons, you will see that they are divided in 2 parts: one part leads to a certain pin on the controller chip, the other part leads to a shared place where also other parts are connected to. That part is called the GND and is the green wire in the scheme.
I didn't solder the wires directly to the contacts as shown in the scheme, but soldered them to the corresponding pin of the controller chip. Doing it this way doensn't ruin the USB controller, I can still use it as a USB controller and when I want to play a C64 game, I connect my Arcade joystick to it.
Good luck making your own joystick adapter!

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2005 1:29 am 

Before buying, would like to confirm how I can use two joysticks with CCS64; I'm thinking of buying two USB competition pros.
Will it just be a case of plugging both into USB ports or will some setting and calibration be required? Like I said, I can't see a USB option under the joystick options of the ALT-I screen.

NB now using CCS63 v3 and Win 2000 Prof

Thanks in advance.........

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2005 10:21 pm 

Allthough I don't have a Competition Pro, I assume they behave like a USB game controller. You can use game controllers by choosing "Adapter Port 1" in the ALT-I screen.
I have tried to connect 2 game controllers to my PC, but unfortunately Windows doesn't like that. When I connect 2 controllers, one of them is working or they don't work at all. You can't blame CCS64 for this, testing it in the Windows Control Panel give the same results. Maybe I am doing something wrong, maybe it is Windows XP that doesn't like more than one controller connected.
However, buying one joystick or adapter will give you much more fun and "old-school-feeling" than playing games with the PC cursor keys!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2005 11:02 pm 

Hmm.. Thanks for that. I've got Win2K (at the moment). I wonder if that would be more tolerant of two USB joysticks. I see CC64S also has an 'adaptor 2' setting so if the OS handled it then I guess so would CC64S.

Does anybody else out there have a suggestion for using two joysticks? Some of my fav games (eg Spy v Spy) need both joysticks.

Cheers.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2005 9:27 pm 

Spy vs. Spy is a true classic. :)

So, you can plug two devices into a hub and CCS64 will detect both?? Or are you talking about using two USB ports?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2005 11:11 pm 

Yes some of my favs that needed two joysticks were:
Spy v Spy - 1v1
E Hughes International Soccer - 1v1 or 2vcomputer
Wizball - 2vcomputer
Kickstart2 - 1v1

I was probably going to use a hub simply becaus of lack of USB ports but I wouldn't have thought that would make a difference to how the O/S (and thus CC64S) handles them.

But rather than try something new, I'd much rather use a method that's already been tried and tested. So once again, if anyone could relay their actual experiences of using two joysticks with CC64S, I'd be most grateful.

Thanks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2005 11:44 pm 

Of course you can use one real joystick and use some keys on your PC keyboard to emulate the second joystick! :idea:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2005 12:11 am 

Certainly workable (and perhaps preferable) for 2 v computer games but for 1 v 1, one person will be at an advantage or disadvantage.

As well as asking this forum, I've also registered my CC64S and asked the question (how to use two joysticks) of the author.

Here's hoping.